The BookFinder.com team spends a lot of time looking at used and rare market demand trends. Per our research, the following are the top 10 most sought-after out-of-print books in America in 2008.
- Once a Runner: A Novel (1978) by John L. Parker, Jr.
The cult classic distance running novel, coming back into print April 2009
- Sex (1992) by Madonna
The pop icon’s book of erotic photos, a perennial favorite
- Promise Me Tomorrow (1984) by Nora Roberts
An early novel that the bestselling romance novelist refuses to reprint, describing it as “mediocre”
- Murmurs of Earth: The Voyager Interstellar Record (1978) by Carl Sagan
A document from the first great era of space exploration
- Carpentry for Beginners: How to use tools, basic joints, workshop practice, designs for things to make (1900) by Charles H. Hayward
A century-old (!) title from a prolific Canadian carpentry author
- A Lion Called Christian (1972) by Anthony “Ace” Bourke and John Rendall
A memoir about a pet lion, coming back into print April 2009; the video of the authors’ reunion with Christian was all over YouTube
- Comanche Heart (1991) by Catherine Anderson
The second book in the series. The first, Comanche Moon was reissued and placed on the New York Times bestseller list. This will be coming back into print June of 2009.
- Legally Sane (1972) by Jon K. Hahn with Harold C. McKenney
An investigation of an international killing spree and the chilling accounts of a psychopathic murderer
- Woodworker’s Essential Shop Aids and Jigs; Original Devices You Can Make (1992) by Robert Wearing
An indispensable resource for DIY craftspeople
- The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting (1989) by June Hemmons Hiatt
Incredibly popular comprehensive knitting guide
We’re excited to see that three of these long tail “bestsellers” will be coming back into print next year. We love out-of-print books, but I look forward to a world where no book ever has to go out of print again, thanks to the magic of print-on-demand and ebooks.Posted by Anirvan